Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 DNFs

The year is about to end and I have surely read lots of interesting, enjoyable, and best books but there were also times where I can't help myself but mark some books DNF, a.k.a Did Not Finished.


It's one of the hardest thing in reading and blogging. As much as possible, I don't want to close a book without finishing it. And no matter what, I always seek the positive or bright side of books..unfortunately, there are some that you just don't wanna finish.

Here are the books I chose to not finish. I also rated them 1 out of 5 stars in Goodreads so it wouldn't look like I didn't rate them.

Warning: There are some spoilers I can't help but include.


The Mark of the Dragonfly
by Jaleigh Johnson

Genre: MG, steampunk, fantasy
Published March 25th 2014 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Source: Publisher via Netgalley

My Reason:
I have no problems with the plot, because it seemed interesting when I read the blurb but I just don't think this one's for me. I couldn't get into their world or relate to the characters. I reached to 30% or something--I couldn't remember--but I feel like I'm in a dream where you know what's going on but it's kinda blurry and you're not there. I needed connection when I read books.




Things You Kiss Goodbye
by Leslie Connor

Genre: YA, contemporary, romance
Published June 24th 2014
by Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Publisher


My Reason:

*Based on advance reader's copy.

Warning: This one is full of spoilers. Skip it if you intend to read this book or just don't want to hear spoilers about it for a while.

I honestly don't have any expectations for this book but it sounds lovely and I wanted to try it. I got on the first 50 pages and all I feel is disappointment, boredom,  disgust to Brady (Bettina's boyfriend who was good and shy then became someone bad), and not connected to Bettina. On pages 50-51 that's where 'Cowboy' showed up. And guess what? He's hot, according to Bettina. Insta-love. Although she keeps on denying it, she's grown a crush to Cowboy and even made ways to see him.

Brady who became a jerk is another thing. I stopped at page 115, the last page of chapter 17 and Brady became worst every page while Bettina just let things go. I hate her that time because she lets the guy hurt her and even bully her. A guy who she doesn't even love. (She never said that she loved him or really like him in the first place. She just kept on saying, "we became closer when..") And then Cowboy-Bettina conversations and situations are awkward and so cliche.


I read some reviews on Goodreads that Brady beat her up and she cheats behind his back. I have a bad feeling about this book after that. So I did the first thing I've ever done in reading: Read the last few chapters. I just wanted to know the ending, if there'll be a chance that everything will change. So I read the last few chapters and found out that Bettina and Brady sort of had a proper break-up. Imagine they do that on the ending! The entire book must be full of fights and beating up. One thing also caught my attention: someone died. And it's a him.


I skim to previous chapters before the ending and found out that Cowboy died on an accident. And her parents found out about their relationship that day (except for her mom, she found out about it 3 days before). And he's 26 years old. And she's 16 or 17, whatevs. Anything worst than tragic? That's when I decided to abort reading and was contented about my decision.



Fan Art
by Sarah Tregay

Genre: YA, LGBT, contemporary, romance
Published June 17th 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Publisher

My Reason:

*Advance reader's copy

I never knew this book was LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender). I'm not against it--it's just that I don't read or review this genre. Lesson learned: search for genres or read reviews before requesting/reading.






The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl
by Melissa Keil

Genre: YA, contemporary, romance
Published September 2014 by Hardie Grant Egmont
Source: Publisher

My Reason:
From the looks and sound of this novel it's already amazing. It's something I haven't tried and something that would rock. Unfortunately, when I started reading it, I couldn't seem to focus on the conversations, events, and everything that's happening in the book. I couldn't connect to the characters and I don't have an idea what's this book really about. It sounds like a light read but when I do read, they were just like foreign words I'm trying to understand. This book was different from others I DNF-ed, though, because I'm willing to try it again one more time--that is, if I found spare time. But if it still doesn't work, I'm done.



***

Those were the books I didn't dare to finish. They're only four, but it still something, right?
What about you, care to share some of your bookish frustrations?


My new year bookish wish is that I won't end up marking a single book as DNF
and just to simply enjoy each and one of them.
Have a prosperous and great one!





Cheers,


2 comments:

  1. I HATE to DNF a book! Especially if it's a review book :/ I've read none of these but I'm probably going to try out Sarah Tregay's book because I've read her book before and I remember I quite like it :)

    This is to a year where there are no DNF books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, it's a shame you didn't like Fan Art. I haven't read it myself, but I did see quite a few positive reviews. I don't like DNFing things either... but sometimes a book calls for it. Especially when you read a lot like bloggers do!

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!