Sunday, November 17, 2013

Celebrating Debutantes 2013: Elsie Chapman (Interview)



Elsie Chapman, the author of the action-packed YA dystopian, drops by today for an interview!

Elsie Chapman

1. What do you feel about the number '13'?

Well, 2013 was a very good year for me. So the number 13 definitely feels more like a lucky number than it used to. 

2. What's the best thing that happened after your book was published?

Being able to walk into a bookstore and have my kids see my book on the shelf, right next to books they've already read and know. It became more real to them, I think. All they see is me sitting in front of a computer for months and months before that. 

3. How did you celebrate the publishing of your book?

On release day I got some perspective day by getting offline and leaving the house. It's pretty grounding to deal with parking and the mall and lots of kids running around while attending your child's science fair. 

(Sidenote: That must be fun and rewarding after months of being locked in front of your computer. :)

4. Do you read reviews of your book?

No, I don't. For the most part, I stopped after ARCs came out. Now, with very, very little exception, I don't read them at all, and I'm careful to stick to just a few sites online that I use regularly. 

5. What is your best or most unforgettable moment with a fan?

Getting emails and comments on my website and fan art over tumblr and twitter. It's incredibly humbling and I'm grateful for every bit of it.

6. Was there any book/s from other debut author of 2013 that you loved? 

Yes, lots. I can't really single any out, as lots of books satisfy me in different ways. But I don't have as much time to read anymore, so my TBR pile is HUGE in comparison to what I've managed to read. 

(Sidenote: Huhu, me too.)

7. Are you interested in writing in a different genre or for a different audience?

I've thought about trying contemporary, or middle-grade, but I'm not sure. I think the ideas that excite me the most tend to evolve on their own, and almost always, they end up being anything but those. Maybe one day.

8. Share us one embarrassing moment you've had.

I like to let those die a quick and quiet death.

(Sidenote: I hope I could too. *sigh*)

9. Favorite color?

Grey or black.

Favorite movie?

Too many to pick just one. I'm watching Moneyball on a loop right now, though.

Favorite ice cream flavor?

I gave up dairy years ago, but I miss matcha, Oreo, or coffee the most.

Favorite song?

Anything by ONE OK ROCK. 

Ultimate celebrity crush (dead or alive)?

If I can substitute "admire" with "crush" then Joseph Gordon Levitt and Jimmy Fallon. Not in a shipping way or anything, but because whenever those two get together they're just brilliantly hilarious. 

10. What's next for you?

Preparing for Divided's release in May, working on something new (always), and getting adjusted to life in Tokyo!

(Sidenote: Good luck! :)

***

More about Elsie!

I grew up in Prince George, BC, before graduating from the University of British Columbia with a BA in English Literature. I currently live in Vancouver with my husband and two kids, where I write to either movies on a loop or music turned up way too loud (and sometimes both at the same time).


I’m repped by The Chudney Agency, and my debut novel, DUALED, is published by Random House and available now. A sequel, DIVIDED, will be published May 27th, 2014.

Find her: Website * Facebook * Twitter * Tumblr * Pinterest * Goodreads




Check out Elsie's debut novel!

Dualed
(Dualed #1)
by Elsie Chapman

Published February 26th 2013 by Random House

Blurb (Goodreads):
In the city of Kersh, everyone must eliminate their genetic Alternate twin, raised by another family, before their twentieth birthday. West Grayer, 15, has trained as a fighter, and has one month to hunt and kill her Alt. A tragic misstep shakes her confidence. Guilty, grieving, she feels unworthy, runs from her Alt and from love - both can destroy her.








The Escapist



Head over Oops! I Read A Book Again now for author Laurie Boyle Crompton!

Yesterday: Jennifer Anne Davis (The Voice) and Todd Hasak-Lowy (33 Minutes)
Tomorrow: Cheree Smith (Shadow Embraced) and Amy Rose Capetta (Entangled)


Calling YA/NA/MG debut authors of 2014! Want to join us on this fun event? Fill out this form! Don't forget to spread the word with your debuting friends!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!