Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Book Review: Not Pretty Enough by Jaimie Admans


Not Pretty Enough
by Jaimie Admans

Genre: YA, contemporary
Published August 1st 2013
Source: Author via tour host
Purchase: Amazon

Blurb (Goodreads):
“New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Lloyd Layton will know I exist. He once said three whole words to me, so this is obviously progress. If I don’t get a proper conversation out of him soon, then I’ll take my top off and streak through the cafeteria, because nobody could fail to notice these boobs.
2. I will not get expelled for streaking through the cafeteria.”

Those are the words that begin her mission.
Chessie is fourteen, not pretty enough, and very much in love. Lloyd Layton is hot, popular, and unaware of Chessie’s existence.
Her goal is clear: to get Lloyd to love her as much as she loves him, and she has exactly one year to do it.

As Chessie’s obsession with Lloyd reaches boiling point and she starts to spin a web of lies that spiral out of control, Lloyd turns out to be not quite the prince she thought he was. Can Chessie avoid the gathering storm before things go too far?
Photobucket

My Thoughts:

* Might contain spoiler! I did not, actually. It just happened that the book contained a certain sequence. Just thought I'd warn you.

With a blurb like that, I pictured a fun, light and sweet contemporary read--perfect for my stressed-out state a few months ago. I'm even excited to start reading it after receiving the ecopy from Dianne (tour host).

The first chapter was fun to read, it excite me even more how she'll get Lloyd Layton, you know like in movies. It was funny and somehow relatable (for the awkward and weird moments in front of your crush) and I thought it was the story of my life. Until I read the next chapter. And another. And another. Til I feel like I'm still reading the supposed-to-be intro of the book but realizing I'm few pages away from finishing it.

The turn of events (or somehow lack thereof) wasn't flattering, it was rather annoying. The lead character, Chessie, kept on embarrassing and harassing herself  in front of her friends, Lloyd and the entire school. I thought it's okay and funny in the beginning but I realized it kept happening to her--page after page--that I can predict what will happen and it disappoints me even before I get to the point. Then the sequence (saw Lloyd, makes move, hurts self, embarrass in front of everyone, talks to friends that she'll notice by Lloyd even she did hurt and embarrass herself. Oops. Sorry if I sound spoiler-ish!) goes on and on I feel like giving up but I urged myself not to because there's still part of me wishing there could be something, anything I'd like about it.

Seeing this book turn to..nothing makes me sad. I had beautiful expectations and I didn't get anything from it. I can't believe an entire book was spent humiliating the main character. I wasn't also impressed at the ending. I wished it gave more insight or lesson--actually, that could be a lesson: don't be like Chessie--or a nice HEA. This book might not be for me, but I could be for you. Try it and tell me what you think. 




*Thanks to Dianne of Oops! I Read A Book Again for hosting the tour and a way to receive an ecopy of this book for review and to author Jaimie Admans!


Rating:











No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!