Friday, February 28, 2014

Book Review: Lingering Echoes by Erica Kiefer


Lingering Echoes
by Erica Kiefer

Series: Lingering Echoes #1
Genre: YA, contemporary, romance
Published October 30th 2013 by Clean Teen Publishing
Source: Publisher via Netgalley

Blurb (Goodreads):
She's broken with guilt. 
He harbors a chilling past. 
It's safer if they keep their distance... 
But, the echoes that linger connect them. 

Returning to Hidden Pines is the last thing Allie Collins wants to do during her final summer before college. For her, the family cabin she spent her youthful summers in, now holds a dark memory that has haunted her every day for the last year. 

While struggling to forget her past, Allie runs into Damien, a local rebel with secrets of his own. He's dark, dangerous and he keeps showing up when Allie least expects him to. She has every reason not to trust him. So why does she find herself opening up to him in a way she hasn't been able to with anyone? 

As pieces of Damien’s identity emerge, answers to a rumored mystery begin to unfold. By the time Allie unearths the secrets of Damien’s past, she realizes just how intricately they are connected. Now she is caught in a dangerous battle that threatens her life and those she loves.





My Thoughts:

Allie and Damien both had a broken past. They're both living the present with lingering echoes from the past. But this, somehow, will lead them together close. I have read some books with the same theme and I'm skeptical about reading this for the fact that I've read some just recently. But I gave Lingering Echoes a chance since the book setting was different from other books. Maybe the way their story was told, their connection, and overall will be also different.

I like the main characters' background story, for starters. I like how the author wove their stories and make it feel like it's real. However, even before things were revealed, I already knew the story. I also wasn't moved that much by Damien, who, in the first place, had the worst past I've ever read. He deserved more spotlight and I wasn't that much convinced when he told his story in one sitting, even if everything that happened to him was horrible. I think he should've had a POV in the book. There, I might relate and know him more.

Allie was okay. I don't hate her or love her. She's a good character and I felt her while reading her story. I just hope she wasn't that attracted to Damien (insert: physically) so I'd be more convinced. While there's Aaron, a friend of her step-brother who she became friends with as well. I liked him a lot. I think I don't have problems with love triangle this time coz I'm obviously pinning for the other guy. That's a first.

Lingering Echoes is a book about broken people with unfortunate pasts who found their way together and strive to stand up again. The story was good but I feel like I was looking for a more push from the main characters. The pace was fast and other scenes were entertaining but it was also predictable. I'm still debating if I like the overall story or not. Meanwhile, read it and find out if it's for you.



*Thanks Clean Teen Publishing and Netgalley for the ebook galley!

Rating:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!