Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith


This review is part of Feb Feels: 7 days of Valentines event (learn more here).
Check out the other two titles I reviewed for this event!



 The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
by Jennifer E. Smith

Genre: YA, contemporary, romance
Published January 2nd 2012 by Poppy/Little Brown
Source: Gifted
Local purchase: Fullybooked * National Bookstore

Blurb (Goodreads):
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 





My Thoughts:

Years ago, I have read few twenty-four-hour-period books such as Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist and Ditched. My first time to read, I waited for the next day/scene to come. But it didn't happen. I felt tired for the characters and also wondered, how will you tell/what happens in a 24-hour story? My 24 hours isn't as eventful or exciting as that, so I have no idea. These books intrigued me and impresses me every time. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was one of the books I'm dying to read and with the fact that it was told in twenty-four-hour-period, my eagerness to read it became palpable.

The first thing I noticed in this book was the writing. Statistical Probability was told in third -person perspective. I always prefer first-person perspective but the writing was just so good I didn't mind it. Jennifer's writing reminds me of Gayle Forman, Nicholas Sparks, and Lauren Oliver. This book wasn't like any other YA [contemporary romance] reads. Wasn't like any other twenty-four-hour-period reads. It was a one day setting but it told a hundred stories and can relate to people in a hundred ways. It was fun and mellow and the pacing was slow and fast.

I liked the story in this book. It's like a process of falling in love: greeting someone, talking to them, building a bond, and you'll never realize what hit you--you get attached by an invisible thread--until you lost it. My journey in reading this book was like falling in love. As I was reading the book and as I was reading their story. I welcomed this book, opened and read it, the characters built a bond within me, and I get attached by an invisible thread. That was why reading-this-book emotions (happiness, anger, sorrow, love) aside, I felt sad when I finally finished it. Hadley and Oliver's story was different and unforgettable. Another story I would forever wonder what happens next.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was a literal journey novel and a novel you would want to have a journey in. It was heartfelt and well-written. This book makes me wonder if fate really happens.



Rating: 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!