Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Book Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West



This review is part of Feb Feels: 7 days of Valentines event (learn more here).
Check out the other two titles I reviewed for this event!



The Distance Between Us
by Kasie West

Genre: YA, contemporary, romance
Published July 2nd 2013 by Harper Teen
Source: Publisher
Local purchase: Fullybooked * National Bookstore


Blurb (Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.





My Thoughts:

Kasie West was one of my favorite debut authors of 2013. I fell in love in her debut book, Pivot Point and Split Second (book two) was on my anticipated books in 2014 list. When I found out that she also have a contemporary romance novel, I squee in delight. I squee more when I received a review copy!

That cover, that title, that blurb, and the smell of the book--my insta-love. However, Looks can be deceiving idiom is still on the back of my head so I try as I can to lower my standards for lesser disappointments later. In case. I'm super glad I never had disappointments.

The first chapter I was hooked. I can relate to Caymen and her "dry humor". I mean, really relate. (But you will never get the joke unless you're paying attention ((here goes defensive mode)). Chapter one showed a fun encounter between Caymen and Xander. It didn't failed to send flutters in my stomach. Caymen may have dry humor, but it was the thing that made Xander developed an interest in her. I felt better for myself. LOL

The story was fun but not as eventful or grand like other books. What I mean is, it doesn't have a huge drama that will make you cry or it doesn't have super powers or magic or fairies or quests. The Distance Between Us was more like a simple book. I find it simple, but very beautiful. Like a quiet ocean. The simple things like drinking a cup of hot chocolate after he sip once each time while walking together in the morning and Saturday career days was sweet, cute, swoony, and eventful enough for more. If this book was a cute little kid, I'll hug and pinch her cheeks endlessly. Hihihi

Kasie West knew exactly what my taste it. Opposites attract? Check. Witty characters? Check. Cute and romantic love story? Check. She writes these beautiful clever books and always left me in daydreams of love, love, love. The Distance Between Us was a perfect book for me. I loved it and on this day review forward, I will read anything that Kasie West writes.


*Thanks to Megan and HarperCollins International for providing a print copy of this book in exchange of honest review!

Rating:










6 comments:

  1. I love the cover, it was love at first sight that I bought a copy of this but I haven't got the chance to read it. But Im gonna read it anytime soon. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book as well! I really enjoyed the parallels between their lives and their witty banter. Caymen's snarky humour was also something I could relate to and love in a main character, makes things more interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw the cover I was instantly drawn toward it but later on I have heard so many different things about this book, both good and bad, but your review made me want to read it :) thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you loved it. I loved Kasie West right from Pivot Point and The Distance Between Us just cemented that. She's on my auto-read list. Xander <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book so much! Reading this has made me want for pre-sipped hot chocolates. It was really cute, and it makes me want to try reading Kasie West's Pivot Point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover! I haven't read any Kasie West books yet but this is at the top of my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!