Tuesday, January 28, 2014

ARC Review: Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd


Her Dark Curiosity
by Megan Shepherd

Series: The Madman's Daughter #2
Genre: YA, historical, gothic, mystery
Expected publication: January 28th 2014 by Balzer+Bray
(that's today; happy book birthday!)
Source: Publisher
Purchase: Amazon * Barnes and Noble * Book Depository
Local purchase: National Bookstore


Blurb (Goodreads):
To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.

Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her.

As people close to Juliet fall victim one by one to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes, Juliet fears one of her father’s creations may have also escaped the island. She is determined to find the killer before Scotland Yard does, though it means awakening sides of herself she had thought long banished, and facing loves from her past she never expected to see again.

As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in the midst of a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, past bubbling to the surface, life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive.

With inspiration from Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this is a tantalizing mystery about the hidden natures of those we love and how far we’ll go to save them from themselves.





My Thoughts:

*This review is based on the advance reading copy edition. There may be some changes to the finished copy.


The first book of this series, The Madman's Daughter, creeped me out. And even though it did, I'm still impressed on the overall story. I liked the twists and surprises the most. I didn't know what I felt or expecting before reading Her Dark Curiosity. I guess I have to brace myself to a darker and creepier sequel.

As I was reading chapter after chapter, I realized that I became more interested and curious than I was on the first book. This book provided answers as to why did Juliet's father has done inhuman things, not only because he's a madman, but also because there's a huge reason why he did, and that satisfies me more. The answers, I mean.

The twists and surprises that I liked from the first book continues and I also experienced the thrill and shock of the events. It made me turn the pages faster than I usually do. I kind of like myself being caught like that. It's because I know this will be a good book.

The only thing that I didn't liked here was the love triangle. Yes, love triangles can ruin a good book. I mean, I liked the romance on the first book, but here? Juliet was irritating when it comes to boys. She might sound like a girl who thinks a lot about her decisions and choices but I have rather seen that she doesn't think that hard at all. She lets herself be swallowed by her feelings and puts the cons on the back of her mind. When she never should had. Because it ruined everything. My respect for her and the faith that I have for her feelings for Montgomery was gone. All the romance-related on this book was awful. Let me just stick to the plot of the story only.

The ending..well that's another story. It frustrates me--but not like the way the love triangle frustrates me. It's more like, I'm freaked out and I still don't know what should I really feel about it.

Her Dark Curiosity was the sequel I can describe with comparative adjectives. Darker, more interesting, more thrilling and surprising, creepier, and more frustrating (when it comes to the love story). The Madman's Daughter was good, but Her Dark Curiosity was better. I would give this book a rating of 4.5/5 but since the love triangle/love story had a wide exposure here and it turned out that I hated it, I'm giving this 4 stars. Still, Her Dark Curiosity was one of the sequels you'd ask for. 



Check out my review of The Madman's Daughter!

*Thanks to Megan and HarperCollins International for providing a print copy of this book in exchange of honest review!

Ratings:











No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!