Saturday, December 28, 2013

Celebrating Debutantes 2013: Kelsey Sutton (Interview)


Check out my interview with Kelsey Sutton, the debut author of Some Quiet Place!

Kelsey Sutton

1. What do you feel about the number '13'?

It has become one of my favorite numbers, considering it's the year my first book came out and the dream I've had since a child finally came true. No matter what happens from this point, it will always have a special meaning for me.

2. What's the best thing that happened after your book was published? 

Probably getting my first fan e-mail. It was astounding and humbling, the fact that something I wrote affected someone so much that they took the time to tell me about it. It made all the hard work worth it. 

3. How did you celebrate the publishing of your book?

You know, I got the contract in 2012, and that time is so hazy that I'm having trouble remembering! I know my cousin took me out to dinner, and I told everyone who would listen. It felt unreal and I may have been in shock. On the day itself, July 8th, I took the day off and just basked in the miracle of it.

4. Do you read reviews of your book?

I do, for the most part. In the beginning, I read all of them. The good and the bad. I figured the bad would tell me what I could focus on or try to improve in the future. Eventually I realized that I have enough insecurities and fears without adding those reviews to them. So now I trust the word of my agent and editor on what needs work, and I'll read a good review now and then. 

5. What is your best or most unforgettable moment with a fan?

Well, I did a signing in my hometown this summer, and word got around. A girl had apparently read my book and had no idea that we lived in the same state, much less the same city. So she came to the coffee shop, and she was so excited that it touched my heart in a way it never had been before. She couldn't stop smiling and staring and she talked about how much she loved the book. I'll never forget it.

6. Was there any book/s from other debut author of 2013 that you loved?

Oh my goodness, SO many amazing books came out this year. Some standouts are BRUISED by Sarah Skilton and THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER by Megan Shepherd. Two completely different stories but equally well-written and addicting. I highly recommend them!

7. Are you interested in writing in a different genre or for a different audience?

Definitely. I'm dabbling in several genres right now. Your guess is as good as mine which one pulls ahead, though! Right now I'm just having fun with it.

8. Share us one embarrassing moment you've had.

Mean! Well, the first one comes to mind is the day that I walked into a café and my ex was on a date with someone. I was so flustered when I saw them that I ran smack into a magazine rack. There's really no recovering from that.

9. Favorite color? Blue
Favorite movie? Chocolat
Favorite ice cream flavor? Cookie dough
Favorite song? It's Time by Imagine Dragons
Ultimate celebrity crush (dead or alive)? Johnny Depp.

10. What's next for you?

Well, I'm working on a new idea for the SOME QUIET PLACE series, but I have no idea if anything will come of it. I've finished two other manuscripts that I have hopes for. Only time will tell!

(Sidenote: Good luck!)

***

More about Kelsey!

Kelsey Sutton has done everything from training dogs, making cheeseburgers, selling yellow page ads, and cleaning hotel rooms. Now she divides her time between her college classes and her writing. Kelsey lives in northern Minnesota with her dog and cat, Lewis and Clark.

Find her: Blog * Twitter * Goodreads




Here's Kelsey's debut novel!

Some Quiet Place
(Some Quiet Place #1)
by Kelsey Sutton

Published July 8th 2013 by Flux

Blurb (Goodreads):
I can’t feel sadness, anger, or fear. I can’t feel anything. I’ve grown talented at pretending.

Elizabeth Caldwell doesn’t feel emotions . . . she sees them in human form. Longing hovers around the shy, adoring boy at school. Courage materializes beside her dying friend. Fury and Resentment visit her abusive home. They’ve all given up on Elizabeth because she doesn’t succumb to their touch. All, that is, except beautiful Fear, who sometimes torments her and other times plays her compassionate savior. He’s obsessed with finding the answer to one question: What happened to Elizabeth to make her this way?


They both sense that the key to Elizabeth’s condition is somehow connected to the paintings of her dreams, which show visions of death and grief that raise more questions than answers. But as a shadowy menace begins to stalk her, Elizabeth’s very survival depends on discovering the truth about herself. When it matters most, she may not be able to rely on Fear to save her.






The Escapist

Check out debut author Piers Torday on Oops! I Read A Book Again!

Yesterday: Jessica Young (My Blue is Happy) and Lindsay Ribar (The Art of Wishing)
Tomorrow: Christa Desir (Fault Line) and Heather Reid (Pretty Dark Nothing)



Calling YA/NA/MG debut authors of 2014! Want to join us on this fun event? Fill out this form! Don't forget to spread the word with your debuting friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!