Thursday, June 12, 2014

ARC Review: Vivian Divine is Dead by Lauren Sabel


Vivian Divine is Dead
by Lauren Sabel

Genre: YA, contemporary, adventure/suspense
Published June 3rd 2014 by Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Publisher

Blurb (Goodreads):
Filled with surprising twists and poignant moments, Lauren Sabel brings a fresh new voice to contemporary fiction with Vivian Divine Is Dead. Creepy, clever, funny, and romantic.

When a death threat arrives with teen celebrity Vivian Divine's fan mail, Vivian has no choice but to go on the run to Mexico. She soon discovers, though, that her Oscar-nominated performance killing villains on-screen did nothing to prepare her for escaping a madman in real life. Some people say he's a hero, others tremble in his presence, but one thing is clear: he won't stop until Vivian is in his grasp. Why didn't she pay more attention during those judo lessons for her role in Zombie Killer?

Vivian finds an ally in the mysterious and charming Nick. He is everything Hollywood boys are not-genuine, kind, and determined to see Vivian for who she really is. But even he seems like he can't be trusted-what could he be hiding?

Beat up, hungry, and more confused than ever about who she's running from, Vivian is living in a real-life blockbuster horror flick. But there's no option to yell "cut" like there is on set....

Lauren Sabel's Vivian Divine Is Dead is a creepy, witty, fast-paced adventure about family, fame, and having the courage to save yourself.






My Thoughts:

*This review is based on the advance reader's copy (ARC). Finished copies might have some changes.


The moment I finished reading Vivian Divine is Dead, I was like, how do I rate or review this? Because the elements are good, but I'm not that satisfied with the plot. I gave this book a try because of its interesting premise, despite of the not-so positive reviews in Goodreads. One of the things I learned in reading books and blogging about them is that when everyone seems to love or hate a book, I might end up feeling the other way. So if that book is really calling me despite of people's warning, I have to give it a try.

Before, Vivian Divine is a teen superstar who had a perfect family, boyfriend, best friend, and career. Now, her mom was murdered, her father attempted suicide, her superstar boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend, and she might be the next one who will be murdered. So she went hiding until they found who is the person behind those death threats.

I can feel the creepiness of this book on the first chapter. I thought of not finishing it because I don't do creepy books! (So much for personal warning, Michelle.) But the mystery pulled me back in reading and pursue to unravel it.

Soon, I found myself sucked and creeped out into Vivian's life. Apart from the mystery, the adventures, new hot boy, and suspense kept me reading. And I liked that about it. When I read further, the creepiness and adventure intensifies. However, the creepiness start to disgust me and the events turned out predictable. I cannot also connect with the characters and I felt no chemistry between Vivian and Nick. Although I think the lake part was kinda hot. Still, I feel like their romance is raw and forced. I would like it better if they didn't fell with each other too soon and in the inappropriate circumstances. Would you fall for guy in the midst of someone hunting to kill you? 

I didn't felt anything special (like awe or annoyance) with the twists but I felt bad about Vivian. Because how can her life be so unfortunate? The ending was okay and a good closure. However, I have a feeling that there would be a second book. Let's see if I'd be interested in reading it by then. If there will be.

Vivian Divine is Dead is proven a creepy, adventurous, and suspenseful novel. However, the romance didn't won me and the creepiness is satiating. Or maybe I'm not just used to it. I would still recommend this to people who likes the theme/genre. It could work for you better.


*Thanks Megan and HarperCollins International for the review copy!

Rating:












1 comment:

  1. I do love this genre, but I've never felt a huge interest in reading this one. It doesn't stand out to me, and while I may like the creepiness and suspense, the romance may affect my enjoyment quite a bit. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!