Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Celebrating Debutantes: Author Marissa Meyer (Interview)


I'm so happy so feature one of my fave debut author of 2012..




Author Marissa Meyer

"When I was fourteen my best friend introduced me to anime and fanfiction—over the years I would complete over forty Sailor Moon fanfics under the penname Alicia Blade. Those so inclined can still find my first stories at fanfiction.net. Writing fanfic turned out to be awesome fun and brought me in contact with an amazing group of fanfiction readers and writers. As Alicia Blade, I also had a novelette, “The Phantom of Linkshire Manor,” published in the gothic romance anthology Bound in Skin (CatsCurious Press, 2007)."


- MARISSA MEYER, debut author of 2012



How was the feeling of being a published author, at last?

A-MAZ-ING! Being a published writer has been a life-long dream and there are days when I still wake up and take a look around and wonder if this can possibly be my real life. It's a great feeling to be able to share my stories and characters with the world and I'm thrilled that (so far) many readers have been enjoying them.



What is/are the best thing/s that happened after your book was published?


Every once in awhile I'll receive an email from someone who is a self-proclaimed "non-reader," but who picked up my book or whatever reason, loved it, and are now reading whatever they can get their hands on. As someone who sees books as semi-magical, that is the BEST compliment I could get!



What do you think you're up to now if you're not writing?


Reading! 


Did you plan, all along, to write/publish a book with the genre of what you got right now?

More or less. I didn't always know that there was a genre called "young adult," but I've been writing about teenage protagonists since I WAS a teenage protagonist, so it's always been a natural fit.



Do you read reviews about your book?

Not if I can avoid it. Good or bad, they have a tendency to derail me more than I like, and I'm too busy to be derailed!



Who is the character on your book who has the most response from your readers?

Iko, Cinder's adorable android sidekick. She's quirky and hilarious and has a strong appreciation for shoes, even though she has no feet. Who doesn't love that?


(Sidenote: Ah, I love her, too!)


Was there any book/s from other debut author of 2012 that you loved?


SO many! I really loved Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo, Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff, Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen, and Defiance by C.J. Redwine.



Fave character from a book (not yours)?

Elizabeth Bennet. In a time where ladies were not meant to be defiant, she was headstrong and awesome, and in the end she was rewarded with a happily ever after.



What's your next project? 

SCARLET: Book 2 of the Lunar Chronicles will be out on February 5, and I can't wait! It continues Cinder's story while also introducing readers to Scarlet, who's based on Little Red Riding Hood and is fierce and sassy and fantastic. There's also two hot new guys. I'm also currently working on Books 3 and 4 of The Lunar Chronicles and a brand new project, which is a YA Fantasy that I'm having a lot of fun with.


What's the recent thing that made you cry?

The song "Adieu" from the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, while thinking about a sad scene in my current WIP.


When's your birthday?


February 19.


Do you read/believe in horoscopes?


Rarely / nope. But astrological signs can be great for describing character traits.


Fave movie?

I'm not sure I have one. When I was a teenager, it was Clueless.


Fave artist/song?

The Beatles, My Guitar Gently Weeps


How did you celebrate the publishing of your book? :)


Champagne and dinner with my family. 


*****


MARISSA MEYER lives in Tacoma, Washington, with her husband and three cats. She’s a fan of most things geeky (Sailor Moon, Firefly, color-coordinating her bookshelf . . .), and has been in love with fairy tales since she was given a small book of them when she was a child. She may or may not be a cyborg. Cinder is her first novel.


Find Marissa on: Twitter * Facebook * Goodreads * Youtube * Website








Cinder
by Marissa Meyer
(Lunar Chronicles #1)

Published: January 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends


Summary (Goodreads):


Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Photobucket



“. . . it unfolds with the magic of a fairy tale and the breakneck excitement of dystopian fiction.” –Publisher’s Weekly (starred review)



Buy Cinder now!




The much-awaited second book of Lunar Chronicles..



Scarlet
by Marissa Meyer
(Lunar Chronicles #2)

Expected publication: February 5th 2013
by Feiwel and Friends

Summary (Goodreads):
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Photobucket



Pre-order Scarlet now!







Thank you so much to the very awesome Marissa Meyer for the time in participating Celebrating Debutantes. (And for writing such AMAZING book. Check out my review here.) I am so happy when she agreed to be part of it. I was actually nervous and scared she might turn me down--she's one of my fave debut authors, hey--because she could be busy and all. And then, hola! She's the third author to respond in my email within 24 hours. You just can't imagine my giddiness that day. You'd thought my crush said I love you from the grin pasted on my face. LOL

Anyways, since I LOVED Cinder so much and it is one of my fave books this year, I'm going to include it on my list of Best of 2012--which you can win. It's a giveaway hop that will start on the 27th of December. I will be also including other best books I've read this year. One lucky winner get to choose one book from my list. So..check it out. ;)

Your thought about Marissa Meyer, Cinder and/or Scarlet?
Me?
I CAN'T wait for February!! :D


Previous author (Dec. 2nd): Leah Bobet
Next author (Dec. 6th): Gina Rosati




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!