Saturday, December 1, 2012

Book Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa, paperback edition book cover
The Lost Prince
by Julie Kagawa

Series: The Iron Fey: The Call of Forgotten #1
Genre: YA, fantasy
Editions available: Paperback, Kindle, ebook,
audiobook, Library Binding
Date published: October 23rd 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Netgalley/Publisher
Rating:

Summary (Goodreads):

Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.

Photobucket

My Thoughts:

Welcome back to the world of fey iron fey.

Pre-reading reactions: OMG! Another dose of Iron Fey series! Amazing. And, Ethan? The Lost Prince? He's also a fey?? o.O

With that title, cover, and well, protagonist, you would really think that Ethan is a Prince. The lost Prince. But really, he isn't. I was actually guessing on some parts of the book when will the another truth will reveal, but it never came. Instead, a different revelation has emerged and another heavy dose of mystery.

Being in Ethan's mind is definitely a change. Before, on the entire Iron Fey series, we've been on Meghan's and for the last book, Ash's. Ethan is quite different. One, is he hated the faes and their world. He never wanted to do anything from them. But alas, Julie Kagawa wrote another book about them, and he's not very fortunate to be in their world. Again.

I liked the book, I really do. There are comebacks (of course. I just can't imagine how the fans will react if none of them showed in this book) of the Iron Fey series' famous characters. I just missed Grimalkin. And Puck. And Ash. I was actually wishing to get some more of them, but then again, it's Ethan's time to shine and the new characters.

I also liked the new characters. They weren't just additional, they were also the building blocks of the book. There are some mentions about Filipino traditions/culture, and a Filipino martial art--which Ethan is very good at--that made me smile. Of course, I'm a Filipino. It's just a weird but nice feeling and all that. It was that..it's just rare, whatever. But honestly, I never heard of that martial art. LOL But hey, I knew all the Filipino words used (of course). :D

It was a nice, refreshing comeback to the world of Kagawa's faes. I really missed it. *sniff*
I experienced a fantasy with full of actions, magics, mystery, show-stopping scenes in the 4-book series of Iron Fey, but I think here in The Lost Prince, there was something missing. A final spice to make it all perfect. I think it's the excitement I felt before, because there were parts of this book I've predicted, so I think I lost it. But overall, I really liked it, and I would definitely check out the next installments of the series. Yay!

Recommendations:
- I don't think you'll miss something if you read this and have never read the Iron Fey series. But, you'll definitely miss the fun and excitement I--we--had from the first four books (and 2 novellas). It's an introduction of faes, iron faes and Meghan's battles and Ash's sacrifices that you'll definitely love.

- For all Iron Fey series fans, of course!

Book cover comment/s:
I cannot say that it's better than the Iron Fey series covers because it isn't, but it's wonderful!

Alternate covers: 
(Click on the photos to view it larger)
UK paperback edition from Mira Ink.

I think this one's freakin' amazing! It's better than the one above, I guess.








Harlequin Teen Australia edition













*Thank you SO much, Harlequin Teen for approving my request on Netgalley for this title (and for the other titles you trusted me with)! x


1 comment:

  1. Good review. I love the Iron Fey books. I like how you showed the covers from the different countries. :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!