Sunday, March 16, 2014

ARC Review: Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas


Ask Again Later
by Liz Czukas

Genre: YA, contemporary, romance
Published March 11th 2014 by Harper Teen
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss


Blurb (Goodreads):
Despite what her name might suggest, Heart has zero interest in complicated romance. So when her brilliant plan to go to prom with a group of friends is disrupted by two surprise invites, Heart knows there's only one drama-free solution: flip a coin.

Heads: The jock. He might spend all night staring at his ex or throw up in the limo, but how bad can her brother's best friend really be?

Tails: The theater geek...with a secret. What could be better than a guy who shares all Heart's interests--even if he wants to share all his feelings?

Heart's simple coin flip has somehow given her the chance to live out both dates. But where her prom night ends up might be the most surprising thing of all...





My Thoughts:

*This review is based on the electronic advanced reading copy (ARC)/uncorrected proof copy of this book. There might be some changes with the finished copy.


I saw Ask Again Later on the web before but it didn't caught my interest. Then one time I heard two people talking about it. One was like, "How was it?" and the other answered, "It was cute." *with an I'm-kind-of-impressed-because-I-didn't-expected-that expression* In case you didn't know, I go nuts (kind of) when it comes to cute stories. Like, I want to pinch your little chubby cheeks cute. So when I went online, I searched to request for it on Netgalley (no luck) and Edelweiss (gotcha!).

Prom stories are too common. Most of the YA books I read--contemporary or not--contains prom scene. I practically know the "Prom rules" or "What People Do In (and after) Prom" now. I mean, of course I do, I went to prom myself. What I meant was in the perspective of an American teenager. Prom scenes from books (and movies) are practically the same that there were times I can predict what'll happen. So what makes Ask Again Later stand out from the others, knowing the book was mostly told in the prom scene? I tell you one thing: Two prom dates. And no, not the kind where the female character goes to prom with two dates. She had each date on the same night separately. No sharing. No curfew. Confused now? Well, I was too.

Since Heart was asked by two guys, it's hard for her to choose one and abandon the other especially if you don't really wanna do that. So she flipped a coin to help her from this stress of choosing. What I didn't expected from after flipping the coin, was she literally lived two nights with two different guys. I liked how she lived like that and yet the story was still alike and still ended with [one] same ending. However, I didn't understand as the theme of the book wasn't clearly explained. Was it a fairytale? A super little fantasy? I also assumed it was a dream, but it's not. How can you live two different nights on a normal world? I really liked the idea and story of this book--I only hoped there was sort of an explanation in the end as well, so it'd be like a modern fairytale. It suits better.

While there are also things that are predictable, I have proven that Ask Again Later was really a cute novel. The characters are easy to read and hilarious. The pace was good and connection of the two stories were cleverly written. I really liked the story, especially the huge plot twist. I also thank the author for writing a scene (even if it's just one little time) wherein Heart wore a tiara. Because this book would end up having a cover without a relation to the story. I'm kind of conscious when it comes to those things. Thank you.

Ask Again Later was a fun read. Light and very cute and romantic. It is so far the best (as an entire book) and worst (based from the experiences of Heart) prom story that I've read. A good book to forget the stress of your day. Fans of Meg Cabot and Sophie Kinsella would also enjoy this. 


Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss for the eARC of this book!

Rating:








1 comment:

  1. I thought Ask Again Later was cute too. I didn't expect it or the direction it took, but I appreciate it.

    Aly @ My Heart Hearts Books

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!