Friday, June 7, 2013

Book Review: The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines


The Vincent Boys
by Abbi Glines

Series: The Vincent Boys #1
Genre: NA, romance, contemporary, erotica
Published January 3rd 2013 by Hot Key Books
Source: Publisher
Purchase: Amazon


Blurb (Goodreads):
Beau Vincent is rude, bad, and dangerous to know. So why can't good girl Ashton Gray keep away from him? She already has the perfect boyfriend - her town's local Prince Charming, Sawyer Vincent. But Sawyer is away for the summer, and in the meantime Ashton is bored, and the heat between her and Beau is undeniable - as well as irresistible. Ashton is about to unleash her bad girl - but what will she do when Sawyer comes home? And how will Sawyer react when he returns to find his girlfriend in the arms of his best friend - and cousin?


The Vincent Boys is a sexy, exciting and enjoyable romp through one steamy Alabama summer.

Photobucket

My Thoughts:


I didn't know what to expect with The Vincent Boys. All I know is that everyone seemed to love it and the author--including my blogger friends. So of course, with the high-rated reviews and recommendations, I'm excited to read it. And besides..it sounds awesomely sexy.

Beau, Sawyer and Ashton are best friends since they were kids. Ashton's a daughter of a pastor; a.k.a the perfect girl, Beau's a bad boy; a.k.a every girl wants, while Sawyer's a good boy; a.k.a only for Ashton. Beau and Sawyer are cousins, and Beau and Ashton are the closest. But growing up, Sawyer and Ashton developed feelings for each other and now had a relationship, while Beau's and Ash's friendship fell apart. Now that Sawyer's out of town, Beau and Ashton reunited and became friends again. Closer than they intended to.

First off, the story was very common. I think I've read and watched it a million times already that it made its predictability. Right then, I knew this wouldn't turn out good for me. Second, the manners. I didn't like the thought that this book emphasized. You want that good girl to unleash her inner bad? For your benefit? That is, first and foremost, selfish, and bad. Really bad. I didn't like the thought that you're urging a person be bad, now that she's good. I mean, it is okay to make other people let their true self show, but you don't want it to be the bad thing. Do you? Because that would not only affect you, but other people and herself as well. Also, she's the pastor's daughter and she's living a good life now and you're turning her life against that? If you really have true feelings or each other, you should man up, change your life--prove all of them they're wrong, fight for your love, show them that you respect the girl and everybody who will be affected. Whatever you do, it will eventually turn out to be disappointments and broken hearts, then why won't you do it in the right way? At least you're free from sins.

One of the reasons I didn't liked this book was that when I think about the moment I started reading it until the end, it seems like it's telling you that it's okay to be bad, so you could have fun. Never mind the other people. I think it's not good to put something not nice in a book. Reading is one way of learning. It should have lessons any kind of reader could get and a situation where someone could relate and find a good solution to. Even though this book is for new adults and it had warnings, you can't help it if there's under age could pick this. I mean, I am not complaining with the erotica, because that's the genre, but the thought of provoking a person to be bad? No. A book must inspire not urge you to be bad.

I also have concerns for the writing. I've noticed a lot of inappropriate/missing punctuation marks. I also didn't liked the way the characters talked or think or how plain and shallow the writing and story is. I didn't experienced the emotions the author must want the reader to feel. The characters also got into my nerves, even the supporting ones. The only thing that I liked about this was I liked it in the beginning. Though I stopped liking it after getting the thought--which is also in the beginning of the story.

Now I'm thinking too much why does people loved this book? But at least I'm not the only one who noticed how just bad this is. Sorry, but this is not for me. I am also not sure whether I'd try reading books from Abbi again. I'd recommend this if you're an Abbi Glines fan, or if you like a tragic dramatic erotica romance and wouldn't bother (or notice) the bad things.



*Thanks to Olivia and Hot Key Books for providing me a print copy for an honest review! I love you guys but this book just isn't for me.


Rating:








1 comment:

  1. Good review. <3 There has been a lot of hype for this book, but I am not sure I am feeling it either. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!