Monday, January 7, 2013

Book Review: Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway

Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway, paperback edition book cover

Touch of Death
by Kelly Hashway

Series: Touch of Death #1
Genre: YA, paranormal
Editions available: Paperback, ebook
Expected publication: January 15th 2013 by Spencer Hill Press
Source: Spencer Hill Press (publisher)
Pre-order now: AmazonBarnes & Noble
icon * Book DepositoryIndiebound


Blurb (Goodreads):

Jodi Marshall isn't sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she's in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she's being stalked by some guy no one seems to know. 
After the stranger, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he's not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she's part of a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch of necromancers that are descendants of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins. 
Jodi's deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn't difficult enough, Jodi discovers she's the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can't figure out how to control her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.
Photobucket

My Thoughts:

*might contain little spoilers*

Seeing a package from Spencer Hill Press on my doorstep (not really doorstep because I picked it up in the post office XD) was a surprise. Because the last time I check, my ARC (Advance Reading Copy) request was declined. So you must know what I felt that day, especially that this is my first ARC from a publisher. Which, I have to thank them again. :D

Touch of Death has an interesting story. I was just reading the plot and thought, why not request this? I'm not even sure if I would be really interested in the book. I just tried it. And darn, that was an amazing try! It definitely exceed my expectations.

On the very first chapter, I have predicted that this is good and I'll like it. It showed a lot of potential and I was impressed. I thought that the first chapter told too much, though. It was just a few scenes but I already know her 'talent' and how and what does it do.

I also wished that Matt didn't have that much appearance or that Jodi didn't have that much feelings for him coz when Alex came, I didn't felt their connection. I am the one who can't get over yet. I needed more push or something to believe that they are really for each other. Though I think he's really cute. *winks exaggeratedly*

I liked the idea of Touch of Death. It is not your all-the-same-paranormal-or-mythology read, and the scenes are pretty exciting and mysterious--though it won't keep you guessing coz there are lots of hints. I really liked it and I'm looking forward in reading the sequel. I was hoping for more action, answers and romance. 

(Oh, and I'd like to say hi to Kelly ((if ever she's reading this)). I met her in BookBlogs.ning and I believe we exchanged follows. I'm just not sure whether she remembers me. :D)

Rating:





Recommendations:
For readers who likes mythologies, paranormal, and not easily bothered by lots of dying animals or blood everywhere. Try this one, you'll like the story!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!