Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Book Review: Boys Don't Knit by T.S Easton


Boys Don't Knit
by T.S Easton

Series: Boys Don't Knit #1
Genre: YA, contemporary, comedy
Published January 1st 2014 by Hot Key Books
Source: Publisher

Blurb (Goodreads):
Ben Fletcher must get to grips with his more 'feminine' side following an unfortunate incident with a lollipop lady and a stolen bottle of Martini Rosso from Waitrose. All a big misunderstanding of course. To avoid the Young Offenders unit, Ben is ordered to give something back to the community and develop his sense of social alignment. Take up a hobby and keep on the straight and narrow. The hot teacher he likes runs a knitting group so Ben, reluctantly at first, gets 'stuck in'. Not easy when your dad is a sports fan and thinks Jeremy Clarkson is God. To his surprise, Ben finds that he likes knitting and that he has a mean competitive streak. If he can just keep it all a secret from his mates...and notice that the girl of his dreams, girl-next-door Megan Hooper has a bit of a thing for him...Laugh-out-loud, often ridiculous, sometimes quite touching, and revelatory about the knitting world, Boys Don't Knit is a must for boys and girls...

My Thoughts:

When I started reading Boys Don't Knit, I thought it was the kind of book that would disappoint me. Because there's a part of me that unconsciously expected a certain story and voice for the main character, but as I continue reading, I realized it would never happen. It turns out Ben Fletcher's story and voice sounds more like MG (middle grade) even though this book is YA (young adult). And with my history on some MG books, I'm afraid that I wouldn't end up liking this book. Or worse, I wouldn't even finish it.

Then Ben Fletcher surprised me. I began to like him, his hilarious family, his idiot friends (sorry for the word; he approximately call them that! XD), him alone, and his knitting desires. I also found myself laughing most of the time and looking forward in each day he writes his diary (book was told in his diary. Long story.) This is the point where I asked for more pages of his story and was glad when I found out there'll be a book two!

Boys Don't Knit may be a good laugh out loud and entertaining read, but it didn't stopped there--it also had a heart. I liked the progress of Ben's relationship with the lollipop lady. From strangers to enemies to friendship. And other friendships he earned during his entire journey on knitting. Ben wasn't the kind of what mostly YA main guy characters are. Yes, he liked girls, but he's not self-absorbed, jerk, or mysterious. He maybe young and innocent for that, but I really liked that about him. His character brings the brightest in this book--and also knitting. This book makes wanna knit. I shall learn how to knit after my board exams. XD

With a eye-catching cover, fresh concept, cute and eventful story, and hilarious characters, Boys Don't Knit is sure a worthwhile read. I loved it and I cannot wait for An English Boy in New York (Boys Don't Knit #2)! I would highly recommend this book to everyone. Boy or girl--in all ages! I promise it will take your stress away. ;)


P.S Did I mention how adorable Ben Fletcher is? Super!


*Thank you so much Olivia and Hot Key Books for the review copy of this book! And shout-out to T.S Easton! Thanks again for following me on Twitter. :D

Rating:








No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!