Sunday, April 21, 2013

Book Review: Fractured Light by Rachel McClellan


Fractured Light
by Rachel McClellan

Series: Fractured Light #1
Genre: YA, paranormal, fantasy, romance
Published February 8th 2012 by Sweetwater Books
Source: Hardback from publisher via author

Blurb (Goodreads):
I’m dying, I thought. This was unexpected and not at all how I envisioned my death. I was supposed to die gardening in a flowerbed as a hundred-year-old woman, not as a seventeen-year-old trapped in a lake beneath inches of ice.

Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After the Vykens killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. She can’t take any chances. But when she starts to make friends for the first time in her life, she gets careless and lets her guard down. Big mistake.

As an Aura, Llona can manipulate light and harness its energy. But if she wants to survive, Llona will have to defy the Auran Council and learn to use her power as a weapon against the Vyken whose sole desire is to take her light. Now she’s caught in something even bigger than she can understand, with a power she can’t wield, and no one she can trust, except, just maybe, a mysterious stranger.

In this breathtaking and romantic adventure, Rachel McClellan delivers a truly mesmerizing story that will keep you guessing to the very end.
Photobucket

My Thoughts:


*might contain spoilers*

At first look, I thought Fractured Light was a dark high fantasy novel. This impression led me to excitement because I haven't read like it for long time now. But as I started reading it, I realized that it was a story of Llona, a normal high school student with an odd talent: manipulating the light--living in a normal, contemporary world. The false impression disappoints me. It brought a whole different book from the one I was expecting. The visions of powers and heart-stopping scenes with a big, scary antagonist dissipates and a contemporary world with a teenage girl with paranormal ability takes place.

Expectations aside, the idea of having light as your powers is fresh and interesting. The story is more of a contemporary mixed with paranormal-cy. There was a one-on-one scene with the antagonist--that's supposed to be the highlight of the book--near the ending but to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. There are so much this book could tell and can be that I didn't saw. The pacing is good and I hope that it contain a lot more about the background of her ability and how and what can she really use it about. I didn't much like the idea of manipulating the light just for fun or just to soothe someone's mood, because that's the way I saw it.

The romance is awesomely cute and nice and it is one of the things I liked about this book but I realized a lot of things happened to their relationship than learning about her ability and its perks.

Although my expectations didn't reached by this book, that didn't stop me from wanting to read the second book. From the things I've read, I knew something huge is coming in book two and there will be more information there. I was hoping for a nice surprise on Fractured Soul and I hope it will give me more answers and more scenes that this series is supposed to be having. I did enjoy reading this one and I think pre-teens to teens will enjoy this too.

Talking about my disappointments about this book doesn't mean I don't like you to read it. I did it so you would know what this book is about so you won't be expecting the way I did because if you don't, you might end up loving this book. You should try reading this and let me know what you think about it! :)


Thank you so much to Rachel McClellan for asking a hardback copy to Cedar Fort Books for me!

Rating:










No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!