Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Celebrating Debutantes 2013: Melanie Crowder (13 Random Facts)



Today's featured debut author Melanie Crowder, the author of Parched, dreams to write a book with dragons and an inspirational book!


Melanie Crowder

13 Random Facts


1. I have lived beside the ocean, and in the mountains at 10,000 ft. above sea level.

2. I love the rain.

3. I like to think that freckles are kisses from the sun.

(Sidenote: Hmm..not bad. :)

4. I taught art. Then I taught yoga. Now I teach English as a Second Language. 

5. I can’t remember a time in my life when I wasn’t playing some kind of sport—soccer, volleyball, rock climbing, skiing. 

6. Right now, I’m obsessed with tennis.

7. My favorite movie is Iron Jawed Angels. Haven’t seen it? Watch it.

8. My favorite book? Impossible to choose. Let’s just say, the book I’ve loved the longest is The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley.

9. It was re-reading her books in my late 20s that inspired me to try writing a book of my own.

10. I wrote for 8 years before my first book hit the shelves.

11. I spent 2 of those years in school, getting my MFA in Writing.

12. Someday, I want to write a book with dragons in it.

13. Someday, I hope I write a book that inspires someone else to pick up a pen and give it a go.

***

More about Melanie!

Melanie Crowder graduated in 2011 with an MFA in Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts. She is the author of PARCHED, a forthcoming middle grade novel (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013).

A West Coast girl at heart, Melanie now lives and writes in the beautiful (if dry) state of Colorado.





Check out Melanie's debut novel!

Parched
by Melanie Crowder

Published June 4th 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Blurb (Goodreads):
A mesmerizing debut about a girl, a boy, and a dog struggling to survive in a parched and barren land.

Sarel is a girl with secrets. She knows which tree roots reach down deep to pools of precious water. But now she must learn how to keep herself and her dogs alive. Nandi is the leader of those dogs. She knows they can’t last long without water—and she knows, too, that a boy is coming; a boy with the water song inside him.


Musa is that boy. His talent for finding water got him kidnapped by brutal men, yet he's escaped, running away across the thirsty land that nearly claims his life. And so Sarel, Musa, and the dogs come together in what might be their last hope of survival.







The Escapist


Head over to Oops! I Read A Book Again for debut author Natasha Ngan!

Yesterday: Maurene Goo (Since You Asked) and Liesl Shurtliff (Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin)
Tomorrow: Tamera Wissinger (Gone Fishing) and Lisa M. Basso (A Shimmer of Angels)



Calling YA/NA/MG debut authors of 2014! Want to join us on this fun event? Fill out this form! Don't forget to spread the word with your debuting friends!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!