Sunday, December 22, 2013

Celebrating Debutantes 2013: Caroline Carlson (13 Random Facts)



Before she became a writer, our featured debut author for today worked on a library and two different publishing companies! Guess she's really meant to be a writer!

Caroline Carlson

13 Random Facts


1. Before I became a writer, I worked in a library and at two different publishing companies.

2. I’ve traveled to the Arctic Circle, and I’d love to visit Antarctica.

3. I was an English major in college, but I also really loved psychology, art history, and computer science.

4. I was devastated when Veronica Mars was cancelled.

5. Even though I am now an author myself, I still get really nervous and awkward when I meet my favorite authors in person.

6. I own high heels but I can’t actually walk in them.

7. I like to read Agatha Christie novels when I’m on vacation.

8. I associate all numbers with specific colors and orientations. The number 23 is red, for example, and the number 68 is yellow. I learned a few years ago that this is a type of synesthesia.

9. I am pretty good at treading water and tap dancing.

10. Books that end on cliffhangers drive me crazy.

(Sidenote: Ugh, IKR!)

11. Cats scare me because they know too much.

(Sidenote: Yeah, like the way they look at you and walk like a boss.)

12. My first memory is of the day my baby brother was born.

13. When I was sixteen years old, I learned a lot of wilderness and camping skills and got certified as a Junior Maine Guide.

***

More about Caroline!

Caroline Carlson holds an MFA in Writing for Children from Vermont College of Fine Arts. She grew up in Massachusetts and now lives with her husband in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania amidst many stacks of books.




Check out Caroline's debut MG novel!

Magic Marks the Spot
(The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #1)
by Caroline Carlson

Published September 10th 2013 by HarperCollins

Blurb (Goodreads):
Pirates! Magic! Treasure! A gargoyle? Caroline Carlson's hilarious tween novel The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #1: Magic Marks the Spot is perfect for fans of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events and Trenton Lee Stewart's Mysterious Benedict Society.

Hilary Westfield has always dreamed of being a pirate. She can tread water for thirty-seven minutes. She can tie a knot faster than a fleet of sailors, and she already owns a rather pointy sword.

There's only one problem: The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates refuses to let any girl join their ranks of scourges and scallywags.

But Hilary is not the kind of girl to take no for answer. To escape a life of petticoats and politeness at her stuffy finishing school, Hilary sets out in search of her own seaworthy adventure, where she gets swept up in a madcap quest involving a map without an X, a magical treasure that likely doesn't exist, a talking gargoyle, a crew of misfit scallywags, and the most treacherous—and unexpected—villain on the High Seas.

Written with uproarious wit and an inviting storyteller tone, the first book in Caroline Carlson's quirky seafaring series is a piratical tale like no other.






The Escapist

Yesterday: Heidi Peltier (The Delmar Shark Chronicles: Isola di Squalo) and Lindsay Ribar
Tomorrow: Maurene Goo (Since You Asked) and Kelsey Sutton (Some Quiet Place)



Calling YA/NA/MG debut authors of 2014! Want to join us on this fun event? Fill out this form! Don't forget to spread the word with your debuting friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!