Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Celebrating Debutantes 2013: Cori McCarthy (13 Random Facts)


Cori McCarthy, author of The Color of Rainstudied poetry and screenwriting before earning an MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Learn more about her below!

Cori McCarthy

13 Random Facts

1. When I was six months old, I went on my very first vacation—to the Philippines. My father was in the Navy at the time, and I was born on Guam. Hafa adai!

(Sidenote: Oh? I'm from Philippines! :D)

2. I am an avid costume maker and wearer. I think the cool word for it these days is “cosplay,” but my costume fun predates the trend. Two of my favorites designs are Han Solo and Kara “Starbuck” Thrace from Battlestar Galactica.

3. I am kind of a tiny person, but I always wear boots and sport a faux hawk, which keep me peaking over 5’2”.

4. My favorite book of all time is Jane Eyre for two reasons. 1. Mr. Rochester! Something about him has always made me swoon. And 2. Charlotte Bronte is magnificent at throwing terrible things at Jane, and yet Jane keeps her head up through it all. Inspiring!

5. I lived in Ireland for a year during undergrad. In Dublin, I walked for hours everyday, drank Guinness (like you do), and wrote thousands of poems.

6. I have a J.R.R. Tolkien-drawn tattoo. Oh, and I eat hot sauce on everything except ice cream. 

7. In high school and college, I had a thing for boys who played guitar, but then I got so annoyed with said boys that I swore them off and taught myself how to play guitar.

8. I have a post-grad degree in screenwriting from UCLA and have written several screenplays. That being said, I don’t like screenplays because the formatting doesn’t allow for adjectives and lyrical language.

9. I am a Walt Whitman nut. Love him. In high school, I used to see him everywhere I went like a sort of imaginary friend…very similar to how Astrid Jones sees Socrates in A.S. King’s Ask the Passengers. 

10.The Color of Rain is my first published novel, but before that I wrote over a half dozen manuscripts, mostly first drafts. I wrote my first book when I was seventeen, a stream of consciousness coming of age story in the style of Catcher in the Rye.

11.I have a two-year-old son! His name is Maverick Archer, and boy, he lives up to his moniker.

12.I am the cohost of The NerdBait Guide, a goofy, monthly vlog series about YA books, fantasy, sci-fi, all things fangirling, and nerdlore. Subscribe to the youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzXZB0ht2fVWmjjLnYdw7g or 

Tweet at us @NerdBaitGuide

13.My second book, Breaking Sky, is coming out next year from Sourcebooks. It’s a near-futuristic high-action story about a kickbutt fighter jet pilot. I call it Top Gun for teen girls J It’s up on Goodreads, if you’d like to add it to your TBR!

(Sidenote: Sounds cool--will be adding that up!)

***

More about Cori!

Cori McCarthy studied poetry and screenwriting before earning an MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. She grew up in New England and the Midwest, and now lives in Michigan with her husband and son.

Cori is the author of THE COLOR OF RAIN, a YA space thriller published through Running Press Teens. Her second novel, BREAKING SKY, is forthcoming from Sourcebooks Fire in the fall/winter season of 2014.

Find her: Website * Facebook * Twitter



Check out Cori's debut novel!


The Color of Rain
by Cori McCarthy

Published May 14th 2013 by Running Press Kids

Blurb (Goodreads):
If there is one thing that seventeen-year-old Rain knows and knows well, it is survival. Caring for her little brother, Walker, who is "Touched," and losing the rest of her family to the same disease, Rain has long had to fend for herself on the bleak, dangerous streets of Earth City. When she looks to the stars, Rain sees escape and the only possible cure for Walker. And when a darkly handsome and mysterious captain named Johnny offers her passage to the Edge, Rain immediately boards his spaceship. Her only price: her "willingness."

The Void cloaks many secrets, and Rain quickly discovers that Johnny's ship serves as host for an underground slave trade for the Touched . . . and a prostitution ring for Johnny's girls. With hair as red as the bracelet that indicates her status on the ship, the feeling of being a marked target is not helpful in Rain's quest to escape. Even worse, Rain is unsure if she will be able to pay the costs of love, family, hope, and self-preservation.

With intergalactic twists and turns, Cori McCarthy's debut space thriller exists in an orbit of its own.









The Escapist

Head over to Oops! I Read A Book Again for debut author Carly Ann West!

Yesterday: TL Costa (Playing Tyler) and Christina Lee (All of You)
Tomorrow: Jessica Brooks (Pity Isn't An Option) and Hilary T. Smith (Wild Awake)


Calling YA/NA/MG debut authors of 2014! Want to join us on this fun event? Fill out this form! Don't forget to spread the word with your debuting friends!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!