Thursday, July 2, 2015

Book Review: End of Days by Susan Ee


End of Days 
by Susan Ee

Series: Penryn and the End of Days #3
Genre: YA, fantasy/paranormal
Published May 12th 2015 by Skyscape
Source: Publisher
Local order/purchase: Fully Booked * National Bookstore

Blurb (Goodreads):
End of Days is the explosive conclusion to Susan Ee’s bestselling Penryn & the End of Days trilogy.

After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?







My Thoughts:

I broke down all the expectations I built on End of Days after reading World After, as I mentioned on my previous review. I'm glad I did because it lessened some disappointments and there wasn't much high mark to reach. However, Angelfall had already raised a standard.

End of Days is both what I assumed is and not to be a last installment of a series. It had a happily ever after (though not like your typical fairytale thing) and each character gave his/her best and had even improved on many aspects, including their roles on the book. From a typical-Me character in Angelfall, I'm happy to witness the evolution of each character into something new, meaningful, and edgy, but not missing their personalities. 

The romance/relationship (or the lack thereof) of Raffe and Penryn is more present here than the previous book. Though I noticed Raffe being hot and cold, which is confusing. In the end, I'm not sure I'm completely convinced on his final decision.

I was glad that in End of Days the pace picked up again the way it's supposed to be. I also like it better than World After, but not the way I loved Angelfall. This was probably the first series I had mixed emotions and thoughts about each installment. I guess what I found lacking is the Bomb. Yes, the book/series is all about the [made up] apocalypse and there are actions in it, but not in a way that my heart pounded, my breath caught, or left me wanting for more. There were no added mystery or ground-breaking plot twist that I'd lost my mind into. I lost those and missed them greatly. It was what I experienced in reading Angelfall. Though I'm also happy with what this book gave.

This series can be best enjoyed by readers who loves angels, star-crossed lovers, apocalypse, and the such. End of Days is a warming conclusion to the epic angels-and-apocalypse fantasy series, Penryn and the End of Days.



Check out my review for Angelfall (book one) and World After (book two).

*Thank you so much Skyscape/Amazon Publishing for the review copy in exchange of an honest review!

Rating:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!