Monday, May 28, 2012

Book Review: Cross My Heart by Katie Klein

Cross My Heart by Katie Klein, Kindle/ebook version book cover


Cross My Heart
by Katie Klein


Genre: YA, romance
Editions available: Kindle, ebook
Publisher: Katie Klein
Source: own
Rating: ^^^^




Summary (Goodreads):


True love can blossom in unexpected places. This is Jaden pretending not to notice. . . .


Jaden McEntyre and Parker Whalen are a wrong fit from the start. Jaden is driven and focused, Harvard Med School within reach. Parker has a past-a reputation-and the rumors about his mysterious habits abound. So there's no reason why, when they're assigned to work together on a project in English, they should discover they have anything in common, or even like each other, and they definitely shouldn't be falling in love.


As they bond over Edith Wharton's tragic novella, Ethan Frome, the "bad boy" vibe Parker plays begins to dissipate. Soon, Jaden finds herself shedding her own "good girl" image: sneaking around to be with him, confiding in him, and ultimately falling hard for this leather-wearing, motorcycle-driving loner who plays into the rebel stereotype.


Still, Jaden can't shake the feeling that there's more to Parker than he's letting on. He's hiding something from her, and discovering the truth means reconciling the Parker she's grown to love with the person he really is. Because it's possible that his life inside the classroom-everything Jaden knows-is one, massive lie.

Photobucket


My Thoughts:


Where do I start? That's what actually popped into my head after I wrote 'Cross My Heart by Katie Klein' for review. It's a thought that I really asked myself, and did not intended to include it in here, but...


I'll start on the only negative I figured when I started reading the book. Cross My Heart has two main characters--Jaden McEntyre and Parker Whalen. Jaden is like, the perfect girl. Good grades, good friends, a boyfriend from the school basketball varsity, cheerleader, and a girl who 'saves the world'. While Parker, is the distant, mysterious, with bad boy reputation who wore black leather jacket every day. Good girl and a bad boy. Typical.
They became aware of each other was through a school project wherein they were unexpectedly paired up by their English teacher. Typical? Yes.


It bothers me when I read books with the same plot. It also makes me hard not to compare these books. But Katie Klein made sure to add her own flavor. Sweet, mysterious, emotional, and a twist that will make you stop for a moment and re-read to find out you read it right. Yes, I've been through that.


Although Cross My Heart might be similar to some books, I liked it. I like the romance, the thrilling parts and the twist. I've always been a sucker of fairytales and happy endings, and this book provided me those--in a modern way. A happy ending yet will leave you guessing... would they also be having a happily ever after?



Book cover comment/s:


The cover is pretty. And pink. I might ask for cover that's related to the book, but the blossoming flower is alright since the summary starts with: True love can blossom in unexpected places.


Recommendation:

Who likes teen romance on a high school scene. And who likes a hot bad boy protagonist.







-       Michelle








No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!