Sunday, September 8, 2013

Book Review: Taken by Erin Bowman



Taken
by Erin Bowman

Series: Taken #1
Genre: YA, dystopian, sci-fi
Published April 16th 2013 by HarperTeen
Source: Publisher

Blurb (Goodreads):
There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?
Photobucket

My Thoughts:

Taken took my eyes when I first read the blurb. The all-boys-turning-eighteen-disappears things is the reason why I really want to read this book. Apart from that, Taken sounds interesting because it was told on a guy's POV. I mean, it's not like everyday there's a cool-sounding dystopian novel being published with a guy's POV, so I should really try this.

The first few chapters proved me that this book is interesting. I liked how it started and how I'm eager to find out the mystery behind the boys' disappearance. I didn't like, however, how the romance developed--I think it was too fast. Plus, I think it's predictable. I didn't predict, though, that there'll be a love triangle. I didn't liked that part as well, along with some boring parts of this book. There were also several scenes that are predictable.

Taken has a very interesting plot. I have to applaud to the author for a wonderful idea made. This book has strong (fresh theme, fast-pace) and weak points (predictability, [wrong] love triangle) but a dystopian lover would definitely want to read this novel.


*Thanks to Sarah and HarperCollins for providing me a print copy of this book in exchange of honest review!

Rating:









1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to read this one. I am a little disappointed in the love triangle, sigh. I don't need for this in a story to enjoy it, but it seems that many readers do so they keep turning up in otherwise good books. I still want to read this, I really like the premise and unique twist, but at least I am forewarned. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!