Thursday, August 1, 2013

Book Review: The Year of the Great Seventh by Teresa Orts


The Year of the Great Seventh
by Teresa Orts

Series: The Tropic of the Cancer #1
Genre: YA, romance, contemporary-paranormal
Published July 6th 2013 by Drayton Press 
Source: Author
Purchase: Amazon

Blurb (Goodreads):
Sophie has always felt out of step—an outsider, even amongst friends in her high school with all the hype about celebrity culture. Her life in L.A. seems to have been already written for her, but when her junior year starts, it all takes a drastic turn. When she crosses paths with the school's heartthrob, Nate Werner, they fall for each other in a way neither can understand. What they don’t know is that by giving in to their desires, they are unlocking an ancient Egyptian prophecy that threatens to return Earth to the dark ages.


To undo the curse, Nate and Sophie embark on an adventure that takes them across the country. But their quest is not only to save the world as they know it. It is also a fight for their very survival. Behind the scenes, there are those that are counting on them to fail.
Photobucket


My Thoughts:

The author emailed me asking whether I could read and review her book, The Year of the Great Seventh. Although I was laying low in accepting book review requests, I accepted because there's something about this book--from what I've read on the blurb--that sounds exciting. I think it would be the kind of book that I'll enjoy.

My first impression from the first chapter of the book wasn't good. I didn't liked it because it was set on a high school with a quite so cliche scene. I found it bad from the potential I've read on the blurb. There were some parts of the book that was forgotten and hadn't explained much further. Those are simple and not important scenes but it forms question in my head and it happened not only once.

I also didn't like how the romance or relationship started. Yes, I like the mystery of it all but the romance was too fast. I didn't feel the electricity from their relationship because all I can see is that Sophie is strongly attracted to Nate and Nate's feelings wasn't justified. There wasn't much foundation on the "love" they have. Also, I had started to get annoyed with Sophie because she's too obsessed with Nate, whereas he sounds like he wasn't. Al throughout the book, she talked about Nate, Nate, Nate. She's too concerned with Nate but not in her relationship with her parents. I would accept it if I was convinced with their romance. She also kept on repeating statements that was previously said, or there were unnecessary stories told, that sometimes I skip. 

 What I liked about this book was the mystery and the quest. It has huge potential. Although I admit that it wasn't highlighted much because the book was spent more in the romance and contemporary vibe. I wish it contained more action, mystery and adventure.

The Year of the Great Seventh was an easy read. Although I wasn't pleased with some parts of the book, the plot was good. Maybe this wasn't for me, but you'll never know if it's for you unless you read it. Try and let me know what you think about it!


*Thanks to Teresa Orts for providing me a print copy of this book in exchange of an honest review!


Rating:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave with your thoughts unshared!